Monday, July 15, 2013

A Reflective Post on the Dichotomy of Being Both A Drunk and a Productive Member of Society

I'm a pretty reflective guy (not because I live in a house full of mirrors, either), and so when I got done teaching this morning I took a (metaphorical) step back and considered the fact that my job is to shape the young minds of this great country of ours. For those of you who don't know, Uncle Hansel is not just a model; I am also pursuing an academic career and thus I am a 25-year-old burnt out graduate student at a large southeastern university. To help pay some tuition, I teach an undergraduate psychology class. This work also provides a small stipend, which helps support my drinking habit. Back to the matter at hand, though, is the fact that someone saw fit to place me in charge of between 15-30 college students for a few months at a time. However, my most recent blog was about how Jack Blacked out I was on Friday night and was dealing with a Stage 2 hangover all day Saturday (thank you, Duke). These things are certainly not expected to go hand-in-hand (e.g., teaching and being a drunken animal), but let's be honest, they do and always will. Should I feel guilty about this? I say nay nay. It doesn't matter what line of work you're in or how "professional" you may think your job is. The fact of the matter is that probably >90% of all of our coworkers, employers, and bosses do the same exact thing that we do on weekends - they drink to excess in attempt to forget Monday-Friday and likely make some irresponsible and silly decisions. On Monday morning, we all take a minute to pack away our irresponsibility and put on our "I'm a productive member of society" mask until Friday evening. So the next time you run into one of your coworkers at the water cooler (which I don't think ever actually happens - who the fuck just posts up by the water cooler?), look them in the eye, remember old Uncle Hansel's words, and take comfort in the fact that they too are a belligerent drunk just like you. If they are a member of that rare 10% that doesn't party hardy, the majority of them probably wish that they could be, and the remaining mongoloids that just don't drink don't deserved to be looked in the eye, anyway. So here's to us - the boozed-up majority shareholders in this thing called life. Hansel out. Take it away, Kesha.


4 comments:

  1. Not gonna hit play on that video. I think I can speak on behalf of everyone on the blog that we all do the Monday through Friday dance just so we can let our proverbial hair down on the weekend and actually be out Neanderthalish selves. This actually reminds me of a conversation I had with my doctor. We were going down the basic questions "do you smoke?", "do you drink?" etc. When I told him I drink he asked how much. I said that I am usually good during the week. I may have a beer or two on a random weeknight but it's not every night and I rarely exceed two. He said that was normal and then asked how much I drink on the weekend. I respond honestly, "enough to get drunk, and then more". His response "well yea, me too". Coming from a colleague is one thing, coming from a medical professional might scare some people away from him. Me? Naw, this dude is now more respected in my eyes. Kinda like Tiger Woods. I liked him before the scandal. But after I found out he takes sleeping pills, gets drunk and bangs random Denny's waitresses, well that earned my respect. I love knowing these people are still fighting the good fight. Down in the trenches regardless of social status. And that, my fellow bloggers, is what makes The Duke's world turn. -DSA

    ReplyDelete
  2. A quality response from a quality American.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can Professor Hansel offer bonus points to the young female pupil that sits on Uncle Ace's face?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Her instructions will be to sit on your lap and tell me the first thing that comes up. +2 points onto your final grade, Suzie Sororitygirl.

    ReplyDelete